National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows
442 S. DeMazenod Drive, Belleville IL 62223
The National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, a division of Oblate Service Corporation is seeking applicants for a Sacristan Position at the Church of Our Lady of the Snows.
LOCATION: Belleville, IL
POSITION STATUS: Full-Time, 30 hours, non-exempt
JOB SUMMARY: The Sacristan undertakes the detailed preparation of all liturgical celebrations and special devotions taking place in the Church of Our Lady of the Snows, Shrine Amphitheatre, Lourdes Grotto, Christ the King Chapel and Santo Niño de Cebú Chapel, including all weekend, weekday and holiday Masses.
- Ensuring that proper vestments are pressed and cleaned, altar vessels are maintained and secured, consumables such as altar wine and bread are in adequate supply as well as other liturgical materials, and the overall church is kept clean and safe
- Assigning the proper number of lay participants for each Mass: Eucharistic ministers, lectors, cross bearers, gift bearers, collectors, ushers, and volunteers to hand out music programs and greet visitors
- Assisting visiting priests and pilgrim groups with their liturgies/devotions, and providing tours of the Shrine grounds
- Assisting visiting groups with set-up of non-liturgical events taking place in church such as concerts; reposing Blessed Sacrament in alternate location when churches or chapels are being used for events other than Catholic liturgies
- Coordinating liturgical processions, including recruitment of float carriers, cross bearers, thurifers, “pace setters,” traffic control, and others as needed; fulfilling these roles as needed if an adequate number of volunteers are not available
- Collecting and safeguarding donations collected at liturgies and special events, as well as from money boxes at church, Amphitheater, Spire and Grotto; preparing monies for deposit as instructed by Financial Department and delivering to same
- Ensuring a sufficient amount of Holy Water available for pilgrims at fountains throughout Shrine grounds
- Restocking and lighting candles as requested at candelarium and devotional sites (Lourdes Grotto, Guadalupe Hill, Rosary Courts)
- Cleaning and otherwise maintaining candelarium (sweeping, scraping of wax drippings)
- General housekeeping such as dusting, mopping, vacuuming, tidying restrooms and seating areas, cleaning windows
This individual should have a solid understanding of how liturgies flow, the order of service, the preparations and tear-downs. This individual must be trustworthy and have good people skills including the ability to communicate and delegate to others in a respectful and concise way. Flexibility is also crucial in this role.
Education and/or Experience
High school education or equivalent, with a valid driver’s license. Must be a Catholic in good standing.
Must be able to walk, see and hear. While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is required to move and set up chairs, tables, and other furnishings. Some lifting up to 40 lbs is required as well as climbing ladders and using custodial equipment.
WORK HOURS: 30 hours per week, flexibility with hours to cover Masses and events, this includes mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Interested candidates should send resume and salary requirements to:
Human Resources Department
442 S. DeMazenod Drive
Belleville, IL 62223
Or email HResources@oblatesusa.org